Leviathan, the English form of a Hebrew word (livyathan) used in the Old Testament, probably applicable to any huge marine animal, and sometimes, as in Job xli., perhaps designating particularly the Egyptian crocodile.
Leviticus, the third book of the Pentateuch, and of the Old Testament canon, containing the legislation and regulations concerning the duties of priests and Levites, and the ceremonials of worship. The offering of sacrifices, the consecration and authority of priests, the distinction of things clean and unclean, the feast of atonement, the prohibition of idolatry, theft, perjury, divination, and other crimes, the religious festivals, and the sabbatical and jubilee years, are chiefly treated in the book. (See Pentateuch.)
Levy, a N. W. county of the peninsula of Florida, on the gulf of Mexico, bounded N. W. by the Suwanee river, and S. by the Withla-coochee; area, 860 sq. m.; pop in 1870, 2,018, of whom 395 were colored. The surface is low and swampy, and abounds with valuable timber. The Florida railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 26,590 bushels of Indian corn, 11,380 of sweet potatoes, 273 bales of cotton, 16 hogsheads of sugar, and 3,630 gallons of molasses. There were 296 horses, 2,407 milch cows, 5,407 other cattle, and 2,258 swine. Capital, Levyville.
Lewes, a parliamentary borough and town of Sussex, England, on the Ouse, 42 m. S. of London; pop. of the town in 1871, 10,753. It has a grammar school, almshouses which are believed to have been founded by a daughter of William the Conqueror, a county jail, a theatre, and barracks. It carries on a brisk trade. Here, in 1264, Henry III. was defeated and captured by Simon de Montfort and the barons.
Lewis And Clarke, a W. central county of Montana, bounded E. by the Missouri river, and bordering on the Rocky mountains on the west; area, 1,700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,040, of whom 666 were Chinese. In the south are productive gold mines. The N. portion, including the fertile valley of the Missouri, is well adapted to agriculture and grazing. In 1870 there were 57 placer and 4 quartz gold mines. The chief productions were 18,658 bushels of wheat, 11,448 of oats, 12,223 of barley, 23,210 of potatoes, 107,990 lbs. of butter, and 4,106 tons of hay. There were 493 horses, 1,210 milch cows, and 2,063 other cattle; 3 manufactories of boots and shoes, 1 of carriages, 1 of iron castings, 3 of jewelry, 1 of sash, doors, and blinds, 4 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 4 breweries, 3 saw mills, and 6 quartz mills. Capital, Helena.
Lewis David Von Schweinitz, an American botanist, born in Bethlehem, Pa., Feb. 13, 1780, died there, Feb. 8, 1834. He was educated in Germany, and remained there till 1812, when he went as a Moravian minister to Salem, N. C., and in 1821 to his native town. He described nearly 1,400 new species of plants, of which more than 1,200 were of North American fungi, previously little studied. His works include Conspectus Fungorum Lusatioe (Leipsic, 1805); Synopsis Fun-gorum Carolinoe Superioris edited by Dr. Schwegrichen (1818); Specimen Floroe Americoe Septentrionalis Cryptogamicoe (Raleigh, 1821); "Monograph of the Linnaean Genus Viola" (published in Silliman's "Journal," 1821); "Catalogue of Plants collected in the N. W. Territory by Say" (Philadelphia, 1824); "Monograph upon the American Species of the Genus Carex" (New York, 1825); and Synopsis Fungorum in America Boreali Media Degentium (Philadelphia, 1832).