See Holy Week.
See Castoe Oil.
Palos, a town of Andalusia, Spain, in the province and 5 m. S. E. of the town of Huelva, on the Tinto, near its mouth in the gulf of Cadiz; pop. about 1,200. It is remarkable as the port from which Columbus sailed (Aug. 3, 1492) on his first voyage to America. Between it and the sea is the old convent of La Rabid a, noted in the earlier history of the navigator.
Palo Pinto, a N. W. county of Texas, intersected by the Brazos river; area, 974 sq. m. The population was not returned in the census of 1870. The surface is broken and hilly, with much prairie land and some woodland. Sheep and stock raising are the chief industries. The county has suffered from Indian incursions. Capital, Palo Pinto.
See Heart, Diseases of the.
Pamiers, a town of France, in the department of Ariege, on the river Ariege, 10 m. N. of Foix; pop. in 1872, 8,690. It is the seat of a bishop, has two religious communities of men and four of women, and a communal college. It was formerly the capital of Foix.
Pamlico, an E. county of North Carolina, bordering on the Neuse river and Pamlico sound, formed from portions of Beaufort and Craven cos. in 1872; area, about 300 sq. m. The surface is low and swampy. Capital, Vandemere.
Pamlico River, an estuary receiving the waters of Tar river and Tranter's creek, and opening into Pamlico sound, N. C. It is from 1 to 8 m. broad and 40 m. long, and navigable for all vessels which can enter the sound.
Pamlico Sound, a shallow body of water on the coast.of North Carolina, separated from the Atlantic by long and narrow sandy islands, whose outermost point is Cape Hatteras; breadth from 10 to 30 m., length about 80 m. The principal entrance is by Ocracoke inlet on the southwest. It communicates with Albemarle and Currituck sounds on the north, and receives Pamlico and Neuse rivers on the west.
Pamsenus, a Greek painter, who flourished in Athens about 448 B. C. He was a nephew of Phidias, and when that sculptor made the statue of the Olympian Jupiter, Pansenus ornamented the base with a series of mythological pictures. He also painted the roof of Minerva's temple at Elis. His principal work was the battle of Marathon in the Pcecile at Athens, representing four periods of the combat.
See Philippine Islands.
Pancsova, a fortified market town of S. Hungary, in the late Military Frontier, near the mouth of the Temes in the Danube, 67 in. S. S. W. of Temesvar; pop. in 1870, 13,408. It has Roman Catholic and Greek churches, and several schools of a high grade. There are extensive manufactories of beet sugar. It is a station of the Danube steam packet line, and has an active trade. Here, on July 30, 1739, the Austrians under Field Marshal Wallis gained a great victory over the Turks; and on Jan. 2, 1849, the Austrian general Meyerhofer defeated the Hungarians under Gen. Kiss.