Tarascon (anc. Tarasco), a town of France, in the department of Bouches-du-Rhone, on the left bank of the Rhone, 10 m. N. of Aries and 50 m. N. W. of Marseilles; pop. in 1872, 12,454. It is connected with Beaucaire, on the opposite side of the river, by one of the finest suspension bridges in France. It contains a magnificent castle of the counts of Provence, on a rock overhanging the river, built in the loth century on the site of a temple of Jupiter, and now used as a prison. The church of St. Martha is a Gothic edifice commenced in the 15th century, with a richly sculptured entrance and a crypt with remarkable tombs and a marble statue of St. Martha. Silk, woollen, and cotton goods are manufactured.
Tarbes, a town of France, capital of the department of Hautes-Pyrenees, beautifully situated on the left bank of the Adour, 23 m. E. S. E. of Pan; pop. in 1872, 16,565. It is the seat of a bishopric dating from about A. D. 400, and has a modern cathedral built on the site of the castle of Bigorre. It was injured during the middle ages by successive invaders, and was twice burned by the Huguenots in the 16th century.
Tarletou Brown, an American soldier, born in Barnwell district, S. C, in 1754, died in 1846. He served throughout the revolutionary war, obtained the rank of captain, and left interesting "Memoirs " of his experience, containing much original information concerning the events of the time in the two Carolinas (privately printed, New York, 1862).
Tarn, a S. department of France, in Languedoc, bordering on the departments of Avey-ron, Herault, Aude, Haute-Garonne, and Tarn-et-Garonnc; area, 2,217 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 312,718. The S. E. part is mountainous, and the rest of the department is traversed by hills. The principal river is the Tarn, a tributary of the Garonne, which receives the Aveyron, Tescou, and Agout; and near Albi there is a series of falls called Saut-du-Tarn. Coal, iron, lead, copper, gypsum, and porcelain and potters' clay are found. The vine is, cultivated, and much brandy is made. Woollen, cotton, and silk goods, iron, leather, and paper are manufactured. It is divided into the arron-dissements of Albi, Gaillac, Castres, and La-vaur. Capital, Albi.
Tarn-Et-Garonne, a S. department of France, in Guienne, bordering on the departments of Lot, Aveyron, Tarn, Haute-Garonne, Gers, and Lot-et-Garonne; area, 1,436 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 221,610. The whole department belongs to the basin of the Garonne, and the surface has a gradual slope to the west. The Garonne, Tarn, and Aveyron are all navigable in this department. Iron, coal, and marble are found. About two thirds of the surface is arable, one tenth is forest, and one tenth is devoted to the vine, the wine being excellent. The mulberry for rearing silkworms is extensively cultivated. Mules and poultry are reared in great numbers and are a principal source of wealth. The minerals include iron and some coal and marble. Woollen, linen, and silk goods, cutlery, iron, and beet sugar are manufactured. The department is divided into the arrondissements of Montauban, Moissac, and Castelsarrasin. Capital, Montauban.