Wolfgang Miller Von KöMgswiyter, a German poet, born at Königswinter, near Bonn, March 5. 1816. He studied medicine at Bonn, graduated at Berlin in 1840, and was a physician in Düsseldorf from 1842 to 1853, when he removed to Cologne, where he became a popular poet, novelist, and chronicler of the Rhine region. Among his works are: Junge Lieder (1841); Balladen und Romanzen (1842); Rhein-fahrt (1840); Gedichte (2d ed., 1857); Lorelei (2d ed., 1857); Eine Maikonigin (1852); Prinz Minnewin (1854); Der Ratten/anger von St. Goar (1857); Johann von Werih (1858); Er-zahlungen eines rheinischen Chronisten (1860); ver Burgen (1862); Zum stillen Vergnugen (1865); Der Pilger in Italien (1868); and Durch Kampf zum Sieg (1871).
Wolverhampton, a town of Staffordshire, England, 12 m. N. W. of Birmingham; pop. in 1871, 68,279. It is in the centre of the great midland coal and iron district, and has manufactures of iron, steel, and brass. The annual manufacture of finished iron is about 900,000 tons; tin and iron japanned goods and articles in papier maché are also manufactured. - In 996 Wulfrune, sister of Ethelred II., endowed a church and college here. The town was then called Hampton, and afterward Wulfrune's Hampton, which became Wolverhampton.
See Rat, vol. xiv., p. 212.
Woodbury, a W. county of Iowa, bounded W. by the Missouri and Big Sioux rivers, which separate it from Nebraska and Dakota; area, about 800 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,172. The surface is undulating and the soil generally fertile. It is traversed by the Illinois Central, the Sioux City and Pacific, and the Dakota Southern railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 99,740 bushels of Indian corn, 40,653 of oats, 25,040 of potatoes, 22,845 lbs. of butter, and 10,433 tons of hay. There were 873 horses, 3,912 cattle, 706 sheep, and 1,378 swine. Capital, Sioux City.
Woodruff, a N. E. county of Arkansas, bounded W. by White river, and intersected by Cache river and Bayou Deview; area, about 575 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,891, of whom 2,686 were colored. The surface is level or slightly rolling, and the soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 145,495 bushels of Indian corn, 18,780 lbs. of butter, and 5,880 bales of cotton. There were 661 horses, 569 mules and asses, 4,173 cattle, 735 sheep, and 7,157 swine. Capital, Augusta.
Woodson, a S. E. county of Kansas, drained by branches of the Neosho and Verdigris rivers; area, 504 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,827; in 1875,4,476. The surface is level or undulating, and the soil fertile. The Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroad crosses the N. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,312 bushels of wheat, 81,980 of Indian corn, 35,536 of oats, 9,173 of potatoes, 8,293 lbs. of wool, 45,199 of butter, and 4,382 tons of hay. There were 870 horses, 3,638 cattle, 2,214 sheep, and 889 swine. Capital, Defiance.