Lake, the name of nine counties in the United States.
I. The N. W. County Of Tennessee, bounded N. by Kentucky, W. by the Mississippi river, which separates it from Missouri, and S. E. by Redfoot river; area, about 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,428, of whom 393 were colored. The surface is level, and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 414,570 bushels of Indian corn and 52 bales of cotton. There were 511 horses, 615 milch cows, 1,304 other cattle, 816 sheep, and 5,853 swine. Capital, Tiptonville.
II. A N. E. County Of Ohio, bordering on Lake Erie and drained by Grand and Chagrin rivers; area, 220 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,935. The surface is undulating, and the soil a fertile clayey loam, with occasional ridges of sand. Iron ore is found. The Lake Shore and the Paines-ville and Youngstown railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 84,164 bushels of wheat, 236,771 of rye, 202,948 of oats, 700,910 of potatoes, 99,058 lbs. of wool, 20,650 of hops, 409,550 of butter, and 22,009 tons of hay. There were 3,598 horses, 5,409 milch cows, 4,267 other cattle, 22,906 sheep, and 2,936 swine; 15 manufactories of carriages, 1 of drugs and chemicals, 1 of explosives and fireworks, 4 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, 3 of sash, doors, and blinds, 7 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of tobacco and cigars, 2 of woollen goods, 3 planing mills, 13 saw mills, and 7 flour mills. Capital, Painesville.
III. A N. W. County Of Indiana, bordering on Lake Michigan and Illinois, bounded S. by the Kankakee river and drained by the Calumick and Deep; area, 468 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,339. The surface is level and diversified by woodlands and prairies, with large marshes near the Kankakee; the soil is generally fertile. It is traversed by several railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 63,398 bushels of wheat, 189.947 of Indian corn, 364,008 of oats, 73,516 of potatoes, 49,989 lbs. of wool, 557,820 of butter, 40,650 of cheese, and 40,994 tons of hay. There were 5,560 horses, 7,694 milch cows, 9,489 other cattle, 11,637 sheep, and 8,526 swine; 4 manufactories of carriages, 4 of brick, 1 of sash, doors, and blinds, 1 brewery, and 5 flour mills. Capital, Crown Point.
IV. A N. E. County Of Illinois, bordering on Lake Michigan and Wisconsin, and drained by Fox and Des Plaines rivers; area, 425 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,014. The surface is chiefly an undulating prairie, diversified by tracts of timber and many small lakes. The soil is a rich, deep, black loam. The Chicago and Northwestern railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 169,135 bushels of wheat, 517,353 of Indian corn, 699,069 of oats, 222,234 of potatoes, 318,042 lbs. of wool, 927,-533 of butter, 128,207 of cheese, and 76,337 tons of hay. There were 8,087 horses, 12,167 milch cows, 10,787 other cattle, 67,763 sheep, and 13,385 swine; 8 manufactories of carriages, 2 of brick, 3 of cheese, 1 of pumps, 1 brewery, 1 planing mill, 3 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, 1 flour mill, and 1 saw mill. Capital, Waukegan.
V. A W. County Of The Lower Peninsula Of Michigan, drained by the Notipeskago river and affluents of the Manistee; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 548. Capital, Chase.
VI. A N. E. County Of Minnesota, bordering on British America and Lake Superior; area, 4,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 135. A chain of lakes extends along the N. border, and the S. E. portion is watered by numerous streams that empty into Lake Superior. The surface is broken by rugged ranges of drift hills. Copper and iron are found. Capital, Beaver Bay.
VII. A N. W. County Of California, bounded E. by the Coast range; area, 972 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,969, of whom 119 were Chinese. It contains Clear lake, which receives numerous streams, and empties through Cache creek into the Sacramento. The valleys of the lake and streams are productive, and the hills afford pasturage. Borax lake, covering 300 acres, near Clear lake, yields that commodity abundantly. In the S. E. part are valuable quicksilver mines. Sulphur is found on the E. side of Clear lake, and copper and other minerals in various localities. The chief productions in 1870 were 87,01(5 bushels of wheat, 11,615 of Indian corn, 3,894 of oats, 67,946 of barley, 5,154 of potatoes, 58,046 lbs. of wool, 84,268 of butter, 63,340 of cheese, and 5,296 tons of hay. There were 1,984 horses, 1,827 milch cows, 2,408 other cattle, 16,307 sheep, and 11,547 swine; 4 saw mills, and 1 establishment for smelting quicksilver. Capital, Lakeport.
VIII. A W. County Of Colorado, bounded E. by the Rocky mountains, and W. by Utah; area, about 12,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 522. It is watered by the Gunnison and other tributaries of Grand river. The Arkansas rises in this county, and flows S. E. near the E. border. Along this river and near the head waters of the Gunnison gold mining is carried on to some extent. The surface is broken by a continuous series of spurs and ranges, extending from the Rocky mountains to the N. and W. borders, but there are numerous fertile valleys and small parks, and much of the county is adapted to grazing. Timber is abundant. In 1870 there were 13 placer and 2 quartz gold mines. The chief productions were 2,173 bushels of wheat, 5,338 of oats, 6,530 of potatoes, and 111 tons of hay. The value of live stock was $47,673. There were 1 flour mill and 3 saw mills. In 1874 the S. portion was set off to form Hinsdale and La Platte cos. Capital, Dayton.