Lee, the name of eight counties in the United States.
I. The S. W. County Of Virginia, bordering on Tennessee and Kentucky, and traversed by Powell's river; area, 512 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,268, of whom 1,005 were colored. Powell's mountain lies on its E. boundary, and Cumberland mountain on the N. W. Iron ore, limestone, and saltpetre are found. The soil in the valleys is very fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 81,620 bushels of wheat, 367,790 of Indian corn, 66,831 of oats, 12,108 of Irish potatoes, 21,864 lbs. of wool, and 132,-547 of butter. There were 2,314 horses, 2,581 milch cows, 4,980 other cattle, 11.523 sheep, and 14,564 swine; 4 flour mills, and 6 wool-carding and cloth - dressing establishments.
II. A S. W. County Of Georgia, bounded E. by Flint river; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,567, of whom 7,643 were colored. It has a nearly level surface, wooded with pine, oak, and hickory, and a fertile soil. The Southwestern Georgia railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 155,565 bushels of Indian corn, 13,230 of sweet potatoes, and 10,179 bales of cotton. There were 187 horses, 1,141 mules and asses, 852 milch cows, 2,081 other cattle, 659 sheep, and 2,727 swine. Capital, Stark-ville.
III. A S. E. County Of Alabama, separated from Georgia by the Chattahoochee river; area, about 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,750, of whom 11,597 were colored. The surface is uneven, and the soil fertile. The Western railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 35,868 bushels of wheat, 244,955 of Indian corn, 44,005 of oats, 58,827 of sweet potatoes, 112,391 lbs. of butter, and 11,591 bales of cotton. There were 1,265 horses, 1,927 mules and asses, 3,444 milch cows, 6,312 other cattle, 2,019 sheep, and 10,285 swine; 10 flour mills, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Opelika.
IV. A X. E. County Of Mississippi, drained by the Tombigbee river; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,955, of whom 4,855 were colored. The surface is level or undulating, and the soil fertile. The Mobile and Ohio railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 443,901 bushels of Indian corn, 76,470 of sweet potatoes, 187,963 lbs. of butter, and 8,224 bales of cotton. There were 3,099 horses, 1,688 mules and asses, 4,025 milch cows, 7,574 other cattle, 6,689 sheep, and 23,442 swine. Capital, Tupelo.
V. An E. County Of Arkansas, formed in 1873 from portions of Crittenden, Monroe, Phillips, and St. Francis counties. It is bounded E. by the Mississippi, and is intersected by the St. Francis and L'Anguille rivers. The surface is generally level, and the soil of extraordinary fertility. Corn and cotton are the principal products. Timber is abundant. Capital, Mariana, VI. An E. county of Kentucky, intersected by the Kentucky river; area, about 300 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,055, of whom 131 were colored. The surface is hilly and mountainous, and the soil fertile. It is well wooded, and contains iron and coal. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,239 bushels of wheat, 68,463 of Indian corn, and 7,367 of oats. There were 349 horses, 514 milch cows, 777 other cattle, 1,973 sheep, and 2,646 swine. Capital, Beat-tyville.
VII. A N. County Of Illinois, drained by Rock and Green rivers and Bureau creek; area, 720 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 27,171. The surface is chiefly an undulating prairie diversified by tracts of woodland. The soil is very fertile. The Illinois Central and the Chicago and Northwestern railroads cross it. The chief productions in 1870 were 453,053 bushels of wheat, 1,656,978 of Indian corn, 903,197 of oats, 154,665 of barley, 210,873 of potatoes, 26,-042 of flax seed, 225,090 lbs. of flax, 44,107 of wool, 753,149 of butter, 56.840 of cheese, and 57,506 tons of hay. There were 12,159 horses, 12,825 milch cows, 19,295 other cattle, 12,239 sheep, and 25,366 swine; 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 8 of carriages, 2 of cooperage, 2 of dressed flax, 1 of iron castings, 5 of saddlery and harness, 1 of scales and balances, 1 of woollen goods, and 3 flour mills. Capital, Dixon.
VIII. The S. E. County Of Iowa, bounded N. E. by Skunk river, S. E. by the Mississippi, which separates it from Illinois, and S. W. by the Des Moines, which divides it from Missouri; area, 476 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 37,210. Coal and limestone are abundant. The surface is diversified by woods and prairies, and the soil is extremely fertile. The Des Moines Valley railroad and the Burlington and Keokuk division of the Chicago and Burlington and Quiney pass through it. The chief productions in" 1870 were 260.812 bushels of wheat, 96,553 of rye, 1,187,322 of Indian corn, 272,134 of oats, 132.176 of potatoes, 93,039 lbs. of wool, 451,724 of butter, 110,092 of cheese, and 24,060 tons of hay. There were 8,993 horses, 970 mules and asses, 7,959 milch cows, 12,360 other cattle, 21,446 sheep, and 24,938 swine. There are numerous manufacturing establishments, chiefly in Keokuk and the county seat, Fort Madison.
Lee, a town of Berkshire co., Massachusetts, on the Housatonic river and railroad, 110 m. W. of Boston, and 115 m. X. by E. of New York; pop. in 1870, 3,866. The town is handsomely situated, and there are many points of interest in the vicinity. It owes its prosperity chiefly to its extensive paper mills, and it is celebrated for its white marble, which was extensively used in the construction of the capitol at Washington. There are a national bank, 16 public schools, including a high school, a weekly newspaper, and eight churches. The town was settled in 1760.