Hawick (Hau'ick), a manufacturing town of Roxburghshire, at the confluence of the Slitrig with the Teviot, 52 miles by rail SSE. of Edinburgh and 45 NNE. of Carlisle. Built in and round a hollow, with villas and mansions above, it is a place of hoar antiquity, but bears few traces thereof beyond the Moat, an artificial earthen mound 30 feet high and 312 in circumference, and part of the Tower Hotel, which, once the peel-tower of the Drumlanrig Douglases, and later a residence of Monmouth's widowed duchess, was the only building not burned by the Earl of Sussex in 1570. In the neighbourhood are Branxholm and Harden, old homes of the Scotts ; and, older than either, there is the refrain of the June Common-riding song, 'Teribus ye Teri Odin,' which carries us back to days of heathendom. Else, all is modern - the handsome municipal building (1885); the churches, more than a dozen in number, and the oldest (1214) rebuilt in 1763; the splendid water-supply (1865-82); and the hosiery and tweed mills, to which, with dyeworks, tanneries, etc, Hawick owes its prosperity. The hosiery manufacture dates from 1771, and that of shepherds' plaids, tweeds, blankets, etc. from 1830. The ancient municipal constitution of the burgh, based on a charter granted by Sir James Douglas of Drumlanrig in 1537, and confirmed by Queen Mary in 1545, was reformed by special act of parliament in 1861; and since 1867 Hawick, Selkirk, and Galashiels (the Border burghs) have returned one member. Pop. (1891) 19,204 ; (1901) 17,303. See a local history by Mrs Oliver (1887).