Sierra Leone (See-er'ra Le-o'nay, ' Lion Mountain'; usu. Le-oann'), a British colony on the west coast of Africa, stretching 180 miles along the coast, from the French colony of Rivieres du Sud in the north to Liberia in the south, with an area of 4000 sq. m.; pop. 100,000 (many of them descendants of liberated slaves). This includes the Los, Sherbro, and other islands. In 1896 a hinterland extending inland about 180 miles, with an area of about 30,000 sq. m. and a pop. of about 1,000,000, was proclaimed a protectorate. The name Sierra Leone is more strictly confined to a peninsula, 26 miles long by 12 broad, and rising to 3000 feet, that projects NW. just south of the Sierra Leone (the river Rokelle) estuary. The climate is very hot and very moist, and the vegetation dense. The thermometer varies between 64.5° and 100.5° F. The low-lying districts are infested with a good deal of fever and malaria; but the higher parts are comparatively healthy. Sierra Leone has long been notorious as the 'White Man's Grave;' but the title would be just as appropriate to any of the adjacent coast-regions of that part of Africa. Coffee, cocoa, tapioca, ginger, maize, cassava, and cotton are grown; but the bulk of the exports (groundnuts, kola-nuts, benni-seed, ginger, hides, palm-oil and kernals, india-rubber, and gums) come from the interior, and are exported to the annual value of from 330,000 to 400,000. The imports (clothing, provisions, wine and spirits, iron and steel goods, haberdashery, gunpowder, tobacco &c), mostly from England, range from 350,000 to 550,000. The capital is Freetown (q.v.), now a fortified naval depot and coaling station. The colony has a frontier police of 290 men, besides part of the West India regiment (400 men). Fouray Bay College (1828), near Freetown, belongs to the Church Missionary Society, and was affiliated in 1876 to Durham University. Sierra Leone gives title to an Anglican bishop, and contains many Methodists, besides a large body of Mohammedans. The governor is assisted by an executive council, and a (nominated) legislative council. The revenue is from 168,000 to 230,000, leaving a surplus; the debt has been paid off. The coast was discovered by the Portuguese in 1462. Repeated efforts to establish here a colony of freed slaves had scant success, and in 1807 the company transferred their rights to the crown. See Silthorpes' History and his Geography of the colony (both in 1881), and Banbury's Sierra Leone (1888).