Lime-Regis, a parliamentary borough and seaport of Dorsetshire, England, 22 m. W. of Dorchester; pop. in 1871, 2,333. The town lies between two rocky hills, a portion of it being on their steep sides. It is well built, well paved, and lighted with gas. It has a good harbor, protected by a semicircular pier; but its business is now very small. Lyme-Regis has recently become a fashionable watering place, with libraries, assembly rooms, etc. It received its first charter about 1250, and furnished Edward III. with three ships for the siege of Calais. It was besieged unsuccessfully by the royalists for two months in 1644.
Limousin, a former province of central France, now forming parts of the departments of Haute-Vienne, Correze, Creuse, and Dor-dogne. It was bounded N. by Marche, E. by Auvergne, and S. and W. by Guienne and An-goumois. Its capital was Limoges. The inhabitants are engaged more in stock raising and manufactures than in agriculture.
Lincolnshire, an E. county of England, bounded N. by the Humber and its estuary, E. by the North sea, S. by the counties of Cambridge, Northampton, and Rutland, and W, by Leicester, Nottingham, and York; area, 2,762 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 436,599. Much of the surface is flat and low, a large portion lying below the level of the sea, from which it is protected by embankments. Since the Ro-man occupation vast tracts of this fenny district have been from time to time reclaimed from the sea, and constitute some of the most productive land in Great Britain. (See Bed-ford Level.) The principal rivers are the Trent, Witham, Welland, and Ancholme. The soil of the fens consists chiefly of a deep loam, clay, and peat; elsewhere it is generally a rich sandy loam. The county is celebrated for the high condition of its agriculture, and for its line breeds of cattle, horses, and sheep, as well as for the number and beauty of its ancient parish churches. Capital, Lincoln.
Lindau, a town of Bavaria, on two islands in the lake of Constance, 25 m. E. S. E. of Constance; pop. about 5,000. It has a royal castle, four churches, a Latin school, a commercial and industrial school, and an important trade, chiefly in wine, corn, cheese, and fish. The port, called Maximilianshafen, was established in 1812, and subsequently considerably enlarged. Near it is a statue of King Maximilian II., erected in 1856. Lindau was till 1803 a free imperial city.
Lindsay, a town and the capital of Victoria co., Ontario, Canada, situated on the river Scugog, on the Midland railway, 56 m. N. E. of Toronto; pop. in 1871, 4,049. It has an extensive trade in lumber and grain, and contains flour and saw mills, a brewery, and manufactories of iron castings, machinery, leather, woollens, wooden ware, extract of bark, boots and shoes, etc. There are three branch banks, several hotels, and two weekly newspapers.