Stephen Lushington, an English jurist, born in London, Jan. 16, 1782, died Jan. 21, 1873. He was the second son of Sir Stephen Lush-ington. He was educated at Eton and Oxford, was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1806, and became an advocate at doctors' commons in 1808. In 1820 he was one of the council engaged in the defence of Queen Caroline. He was appointed judge of the consistory court in 1828, and of the high court of admiralty in 1838. He was a liberal member of parliament, which he first entered in 1807 and finally left in 1841, when the act disqualifying judges of the admiralty to sit in the house of commons impelled his retirement from political life; and ill health made him withdraw from the bench in July, 1807. He was the legal adviser of Lady Byron, and gave his opinion that the offence of her husband, as stated by her, was one which should for ever preclude any reunion between them. He died without disclosing the secret.
Stephen West, an American clergyman, born in Tolland, Conn., Nov. 13,1735, died in Stockbridge, Mass., May 15, 1819. He graduated at Yale college in 1755, and studied theology, became chaplain at Hoosick fort in 1757, succeeded Jonathan Edwards in the Indian mission at Stockbridge in 1758, and was ordained as pastor of the Congregational church there in 1759. About 1770 he resigned his charge of the Indians, and adopted the Hopkinsian theology. He published " An Essay on Moral Agency" (12mo, 1772; enlarged ed., 1794); "Duty and Obligation of Christians to marry only in the Lord" (1779); "An Essay on the Scripture Doctrine of the Atonement" (1785); "An Inquiry into the Ground and Import of Infant Baptism" (1794); "Life of Rev. Samuel Hopkins, D. D." (1806); and "Evidence of the Divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ collected from the Scriptures" (1816).
Stephenson, a N. AY. county of Illinois, bordering on Wisconsin, intersected by the Pecatonica river and several railroads; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 30,608. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 529,513 bushels of wheat, 135,362 of rye, 1,615,679 of Indian corn, 960,620 of oats, 165,266 of barley, 261,-110 of potatoes, 36,507 tons of hay, 87,803 lbs. of tobacco, 69,251 of wool, 757,458 of butter, 30,976 of cheese, and 10,855 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 11,441 horses, 10,723 milch cows, 15,186 other cattle, 18,348 sheep, and 34,437 swine; 14 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of agricultural implements, 3 of furniture, 3 of iron castings, 8 of saddlery and harness, 3 of woollen goods, 3 breweries, and 1 tannery. Capital, Freeport.
See Printing, vol. xiii., p. 850.