Carnarvonshire, a maritime county of North Wales, bounded E. and SE. by Denbigh and Merioneth shires, and on all other sides by the Irish Sea and the Menai Strait. With a maximum length and breadth of 34 and 23 miles, it has an area of 379 sq. m., of which 50.7 per cent. is under cultivation. The surface is grandly mountainous, attaining a maximum altitude in Snowdon (3571 feet), in the centre of the county, the loftiest summit south of the Scottish Border. Carnarvon Bay is 34 miles across, and 16 deep; it communicates with the Irish Sea through the Menai Strait, which is 14 miles long, and 200 yards to 2 miles broad. The rivers of Carnarvon are numerous, but small. The chief is the Conway, which is navigable for 10 miles, and runs along the east border. Almost all the streams flow through small lakes or tarns - of which there are 50 or 60 in the county - around the central or Snowdon group of mountains. There are many fine cataracts on these streams. The mineral products include copper, lead, zinc, coal, roofing and writing slates; the Penrhyn slate-quarries employing many thousands of workmen. The chief towns are Carnarvon, Bangor, Pwllheli, Conway, Nevin, and Criccieth; besides which boroughs, several flourishing towns and tourist centres have come into prominence - Llandudno, Tremadoc, Bethesda, Bettws-y-Coed, Llanberis, and Beddgelert. The county returns two members. Pop. (1801) 41,521; (1881) 119,349; (1891) 118,204; (1901) 126,883.