Kingston, chief town of Frontenac county, Ontario, is situated at the head of Lake Ontario, and at the mouth of the Cataraqui Creek, 161 miles by rail ENE. of Toronto. It has handsome public buildings, and is the seat of the Royal Military College of Canada (1876), 'of Queen's University (1841), with museums and an observatory, and of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (1854), and the Women's Medical College (1883) affiliated to it. The city has, besides excellent railway facilities, good water-communication by the lake, the St Lawrence, and the Rideau Canal, which last connects it with Ottawa. It possesses a large, sheltered harbour, with an active trade, and strongly fortified ; and, besides busy shipyards, has manufactories of locomotives and stationary engines, machinery, leather, boots and shoes, agricultural implements, wooden wares, etc. Grant Allen and George Romanes were born here. The capital of Canada from 1841 to 1844, Kingston is the seat of an Anglican bishop and of a Roman Catholic archbishop. Its site was occupied by the old French fort of Frontenac. Population, nearly 20,000.

Kingston

Kingston, the capital of Jamaica, stands on the north side of a landlocked harbour, the best in the island, and, for its size, one of the best in the world. Population, about 48,000. It was founded in 1693-1703, after the neighbouring town of Port Royal had been destroyed by an earthquake. From this place, afterwards rebuilt, Kingston is distant 6 miles, the breadth of its noble haven ; while with Spanish Town, towards the interior, it has since 1846 been connected by railway. In 1758 Spanish Town was made the capital, but in 1872 the seat of government was removed to Kingston. Kingston was visited in 1880 by a violent hurricane, and by a vast conflagration in December 1882, as also before in 1782 and 1843. The most interesting public building is the Old Church, where Benbow the ' old sea-dog' is buried.

Kingston

Kingston, capital of Ulster county, New York state, stands on the right bank of the Hudson, 54 miles S. of Albany. It is a railway and canal terminus, and forwards enormous quantities of blue-stone flags. Kingston is also a centre of the hydraulic cement business, and contains breweries, tanneries, flour-mills, foundries, brickyards, etc. Pop. 26,000.