Faversham, an ancient municipal borough and river-port of Kent, 52 miles by rail ESE. of London, and 10 WNW. of Canterbury. It has a valuable oyster-fishery, and the creek on which it stands admits vessels of 200 tons. In the vicinity are important powder-mills. Pop. (1851) 4595 ; (1901) 11,290. As Favresfield it was a seat of the Saxon kings, where Athelstan in 930 held a Witenagemot. It has scanty remains of a Clugniac abbey founded (1147) by King Stephen, whose tomb is pointed out in the parish church, a fine cruciform building, with a spire 148 feet high. Near it is the house of ' Arden of Fevers-ham,' whose murder by his wife in 1551 forms the theme of an anonymous tragedy (1592). A grammar-school (1527) was rebuilt outside the town in 1879. In 1688 James II. was seized at Faversham, attempting to flee to France. See local histories by Jacob (1774) and Giraud (1876).
Fayal (Fl-al'), one of the Azores (q.v.), with an area of 69 sq. in., and a pop. of 26,264, attains 3000 feet in height, and on its SE. coast has a safe bay with the town of Horta.
Fayyum, or Fayoum (Fi-yoom'; Egypt. Phiom, ' marsh-land'), a district of Egypt (pop. 360,000), a nearly circular basin or oasis, about 30 miles in diameter, or 840 sq. m. in area, sunk beneath the level of the Libyan desert, 50 miles SW. of Cairo, and connected with the Nile Valley by a narrow pass, through which an ancient canal pours the fertilising water which renders the Fayyum one of the most productive parts of Egypt. The irrigation was anciently regulated by a large reservoir, called Lake Mœris (q.v.), and the overflow now forms the large sheet of brackish water, 35 miles long, known as the Birket-el-Karn, which marks the eastern boundary of the oasis. On the banks of Lake Mœris was the famous 'labyrinth,' reckoned one of the wonders of the world - a vast palace whose remains are seen in the ruins near the brick pyramid of Hawara. For recent explorations in Fayyum, see Petrie's Hawara, Biahma, and Arsino'e (1889), and Grenfell's Fayum Towns (1901).
Fear, Cape, the most southerly point of North Carolina, forms the southern extremity of Smith's Island, at the mouth of the Cape Fear River. - Cape Fear River, formed by the Deep and Haw rivers, runs 250 miles SE. to the Atlantic.
Fearne Islands. See Farne.
Fecamp (Fay-kon9'), a town and seaport in the French dep. of Seine-Inferieure, 28 miles NNE. of Havre by rail. It has a fine abbey church (c. 1220), cotton-mills, sugar-refineries, tanneries, shipbuilding-yards, etc. Pop. (1872) 12,651; (1901) 15,206.