Grinstead, East, an old-fashioned town of Sussex, 36 miles S. by E. of London by rail, which till 1832 returned two members to parliament. Here is Sackville College, of which Dr J. M. Neale was warden, and the convent of the sisterhood of St Margaret, with Home and Orphanage. Pop. of urban district, 6100. - West Grinstead is 18 miles to the SW. Pop. 1502.
Griqualand West and East are two British districts of South Africa, one a part of Cape Colony (q.v.), the other a dependency of it, and named from the Griquas or Bastaards, who are a mixed race sprung from Dutch settlers and native women. - Griqualand West lies to the north-east of Cape Colony, is bounded S. by the Orange River, N. by Bechuana territory, E. by Orange Free State, W. by the Kalahari country. Portions of the country are suitable for sheep-farming and agriculture, but the chief source of wealth is the diamond-fields. From the discovery of the first diamond in 1867, a steady stream of immigration set in; settlements were formed representing all nationalities, and digging was vigorously prosecuted. Diamonds to the value of above £12,000,000 were found there during 1871-80, and of perhaps £100,000,000 between 1867 and 1900. Griqualand West was annexed in 1871, and incorporated with Cape Colony in 1880. Kimberley, connected by rail with the Cape since 1885, is the seat of government. Other towns are De Beers, Du Toit's Pan, Bultfontein, Barkly, and Griqua Town. Area, 15,197 sq. m.; pop. 100,000, of whom about 40,000 are whites. - Griqualand East is that part of No-Man's-Land which lies between the Kaffir border and southern Natal. It was allotted to the Griqua chief, Adam Kok, who had removed thither with 15,000 Griquas, and to the Basutos who had previously migrated hither. This territory was annexed to the Cape in 1875. Chief village, Kokstadt. Area, about 8000 sq. m. ; pop. 200,000, of whom about 20,000 are whites.