Leo Meyer, a German philologist, born at Bledeln, Hanover, July 3,1830. He completed his studies in Gottingen, and under Bopp and the brothers Grimm in Berlin, and was professor in the university of Gottingen from 1856 to 1865, when he was appointed to the chair of comparative philology at Dorpat. He has published numerous works on Greek philology and mythology, including Vergleichende Gram-matih der griechischen mid lateinischen Sprache (2 vols., Berlin, 1861-'5), and Gedrangte Ver-gleichung der griechischen und lateinischen Declination (1862). Flis most celebrated production is Die gothische Sprache: ihre Lant-gestaltung insbesondere im Verhaltniss zurn Altindischen, Griechischen und Lateinischen (1869).
Leo Von Klenze, a German architect, born in Hildesheim, Feb. 29, 1784, died in Munich, Jan. 27, 1864. He studied in Paris and Italy, became the friend and adviser of the crown prince of Bavaria, and after the elevation of the latter to the throne as Louis I. in 1825, was the architect of the Walhalla, as well as of the Glyptothek, Pinakothek, and other public buildings in Munich. He published a number of essays on art, including a treatise in which he endeavored to prove that the Grecian style of architecture is alone adapted to churches.
Leoben, a town of Austria, in the province of Styria, on the Mur, and on the Vienna and Trieste railway, 10 m. W. S. W. of Brack; pop. in 1870, 5,091. The inhabitants are mostly engaged in mining and forging iron, and it is the seat of a famous school of mines. The preliminary treaty between the French republic and Austria, which terminated Napoleon's second Italian campaign, and was followed by the peace of Campo Formio, was concluded here, April 18, 1797.
Leobschutz, a town of Prussia, in the province of Silesia, capital of the mediatized principality of Jagerndorf, which belongs to the prince of Liechtenstein, 34 m. S. of Oppeln; pop. in 1871, 10,689. It has a castle, four churches, and a gymnasium. There is an active trade in grain and flax, and 2,000 persons are employed in woollen knitting.
Leochares, an Athenian sculptor, who flourished about the middle of the 4th century B. C. He was one of the artists employed by Artemisia of Caria on the tomb of her husband Mausolus. He was also one of those engaged by Philip of Macedon to execute memorials of his victory at Chaeronea; but his masterpiece was his bronze statue of the "Abduction of Ganymede by the Bird of Jove," of which the best extant copy is at Rome. His statue of "Zeus Ceraunius " was also very celebrated.
Leominster, a borough of England, in Herefordshire, on the Lugg, 13 m. N. N. W. of Hereford, on the railway to Shrewsbury; pop. in 1871, 5,805. Here the Leominster canal, which is 10 m. long and issues from the Severn at Stourport, enters the Lugg. It has a grammar school, an ancient church, and a house of industry. Among the principal manufactures are leather, gloves, and hats.
Leominster, , a town of Worcester co., Massachusetts, on the Nashua river, and on the Fitchburg and the Boston, Clinton, and Fitch-burg railroads, 38 m. W. N. W. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 3,984. It is the chief seat of the comb manufacture of the state, and contains also paper and piano factories, two large cabinet shops, an extensive manufactory of children's carriages, a national bank, 17 public schools, including a high school, a weekly newspaper, and five churches.