Llanelly (Hhlan-ehh'ly; nearly like Thlanethly), a manufacturing town and seaport of Carmarthenshire, South Wales, 11 miles WNW. of Swansea. The mineral wealth_of the vicinity, and the easy access to the sea, have raised it from a mere village in 1813 to a town of considerable commercial importance. The Cambrian Copper-works employ a great number of the inhabitants ; but there are also silver, lead, iron, and tin works, potteries, chemical works, etc. Large docks have been constructed, and coal is largely exported. With Carmarthen it returns one member. Pop. (1851) 8710 ; (1901) 25,617.
Llanfyllin, one of the Montgomery boroughs, 15 miles NNW. of Montgomery. Pop. 1653.
Llangefni, an Anglesey market-town, 9 miles W. by S. of Beaumaris. Pop. 1750.
Llangollen (Hhlan-gohhlen; nearly Tlilan-goth-len), a town of Denbighshire, North Wales, picturesquely situated on the Dee, 22 miles SW. of Chester and 26 NW. of Shrewsbury. It has a town-hall (1866) and flannel manufactures, and is visited by tourists on account of the beauty of the famous Vale of Llangollen, and for its antiquities, among which are Dinas Bran or Crow Castle, Valle Crucis Abbey (1200), and Eliseg's Pillar (8th or 9th century). Plas Newydd, 1/3 mile S. of the bridge, was for half a century the residence of the two Irish recluses, the 'Ladies of the Vale,' or ' Maids of Llangollen,' Lady Eleanor Butler (1745-1829) and Miss Sarah Ponsonby (1755-1831), who were visited here by Madame de Genlis, Miss Seward, De Quincey, and many other celebrities. Pop. 3325. See Simpson's History of Llangollen (3d ed. 1852).
Llangorse, a parish, with a lake 5 miles in circuit, and 6 1/2 miles ESE. of Brecon.
Llanidloes (Hlan-id'lo-es), a municipal and parliamentary borough of Montgomeryshire, on the Severn, 56 1/2 miles NW. of Hereford by rail and 56 SW. of Shrewsbury. Its interesting church, built partly with materials from Cwmhir Abbey, was restored in 1882. Manufactures of flannel and other woollen fabrics are carried on ; and in the neighbourhood are extensive lead-mines. With Montgomery, etc, Llanidloes returns one member. Pop. 2774.
Llanrwst (Hlan-roost), a market-town of Denbighshire, on the river Conway, 10 miles S. of Conway town. Pop. 2650.
Llantho'ny, on the Honddu, in Monmouthshire, 20 miles N. of Abergavenny, a Cistercian abbey, founded in 1108. Its church and chapterhouse form a fine ruin in the Transition Norman style. In the Prior's Lodge, now an inn, Walter Savage Landor lived for three years after his marriage. Four miles up the valley is Llanthony 'Monastery,' founded by 'Father Ignatius.'