Drill, in mechanics. See Boeing.
Drill, in zoology. See Baboon.
Driven, a town of Tyrol, capital of a circle of the same name, 39 m. S. by E. of Innspruck, at the confluence of the rivers Eisack and Ri-enz, on the railroad leading through the Brenner pass; pop. about 4,000. Its position is strategically very important, owing to the high and steep mountains on each side. The town is spoken of as early as the 9th century. It has a Catholic gymnasium, and has been the residence of a bishop since 992. The Catholic council of 1080, which pronounced the removal of Pope Gregory VII., was held here. In the peasants' war in 1525 Brixen was occupied and sacked. In the vicinity of the town is Fort Francis, or Franzensveste, erected in 1845, commanding the valley of the Eisack, and the three roads from Bavaria, Italy, and Carinthia, which join at Brixen.
Drives, Or Rrives-La-Gaillarde, a town of Limousin, France, in the department of Correze, situated in the valley of the Correze, 13 m. S. W. of Tulle; pop. in 1866,10,389. Its fine appearance at a distance is not realized in its interior. The most remarkable buildings are a communal college, a hospital, a library with 21,000 volumes, and an ancient Gothic house, dating, it is said, from the time of the English occupation. The manufactures embrace woollens, muslins, silk, handkerchiefs, and cotton yarns. There are extensive bleach eries and distilleries, and a brisk trade is carried on in brandy, wine, chestnuts, cattle, and truffles, the Brives chicken truffle pie enjoying much reputation. Cardinal Dubois and Gen. Brune were born here.
Drohobycz, a town of Austria, in Galicia, situated on a small tributary of the Dniester, 18 m. S. E. of Sambor; pop. in 1870, 16,884. Its Catholic church is the handsomest religious edifice in Galicia. It has important salt works and manufactories of pottery, leather, and linens.
Dry Tortugas, a group of ten islets or keys forming part of Monroe co., Florida, at the extremity of the Florida Keys, 120 m. W. S. W. of Cape Sable, the S. point of the state; pop. in 1870, 237. They lie just within the gulf of Mexico, in about lat. 24° 37' N, Ion. 83° W. The islets, which are of coral formation, are low and barren except where partly covered with mangrove bushes. On Bush or Garden Key is Fort Jefferson, which in 1870 was garrisoned by 98 men. A lighthouse has been erected on the same islet. During the civil war the fort was used as a penal station for confederate prisoners, and in 1865 O'Laughlin, Spangler, Arnold, and Mudd, found guilty by a military commission of participation in the assassination of President Lincoln, were sent thither to serve out their terms of imprisonment, but were pardoned by President Johnson, except O'Laughlin, who died there. Prisoners under sentence of court martial are occasionally confined at Fort Jefferson.