For'far, the county town of Forfarshire, at the E. end of Forfar Loch, 14 miles NNE. of Dundee. It was a royal residence as early as the reign of Malcolm Canmore, whose son, David I. (1124-53), made it a royal burgh; but in 1308 Bruce razed the castle - its site is marked by the town-cross of 1684. The making of brogues by the 'Forfar souters' is a thing of the long past; and linen is now the leading manufacture. The Reid public hall (1869) may be noticed, and the Reid public park (1894). With Montrose and three other burghs it returns one member. Pop. of the royal burgh (1901) 12,117.
Por'farshire, or Angus, a Scottish county, washed on the east by the German Ocean, on the south by the Firth of Tay. It has an utmost length and breadth of 36 and 36 1/2 miles, and an area of 890 sq. m. The surface is finely diversified, the rich plain of Strathmore - the Howe of Angus - dividing the Sidlaw Hills (1399 feet) from the Grampian Braes of Angus in the north-west, which culminate in Cairn na Glasha (3484 feet) on the Aberdeenshire boundary, and exceed 2000 feet in twenty-two other summits. The chief streams are the North and South Esks and the Isla; and Loch Lee (9 by 2 furlongs) is the largest of several small lakes. Somewhat less than half of the entire area is in cultivation, and more than one-nineteenth under wood. Linen and jute are the staple manufactures of the towns. These include Dundee, Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin, Forfar, Broughty-Ferry, Kirriemuir, and Carnoustie. The county returns one member to parliament. Pop. (1801) 99,053; (1841) 170,453; (1901) 284,082. The antiquities include vitrified and other hill-forts, cairns and standing-stones, weems, Roman camps, the sculptured stones of Meigle, Aber-lemno, St Vigeans, Glamis, etc, the ruins of Restennoth priory and Arbroath abbey, the round tower of Brechin, and the old castles of Glamis, Edzell, Finhaven, Airlie, etc. See Warden's Angus or Forfarshire (4 vols. 1880-83).