Eigg, or Egg, a Hebridean island, 7 1/2 miles W. of the mainland of Inverness-shire, and 5 SW. of Skye. With an utmost length and breadth of 6 1/2 and 4 miles, it is 12 sq. m. in area, and culminates in the remarkable Scuir of Eigg (1346 feet), near which are columnar cliffs like those of Staffa. Pop. (1851) 546; (1901) 211. Here in 617 St Donnan and fifty more monks from Iona were killed; and here, towards the close of the 16th century, 200 Macdonalds were smoked to death in a cave by Macleod.
Eil, Loch, a sea-loch of Argyll and Inverness shires. It consists of Upper Loch Eil (6 3/8 miles x 3/4 mile), striking eastward, and Lower Loch Eil (9 5/8 miles x 2 miles), striking south-westward. The latter is rather part of Loch Linnhe.
Eimeo (Fr. Moorea), one of the French Society Islands, in the Pacific Ocean, 10 miles WNW. of Tahiti. Area, 51 sq. m.; pop. 1500. It consists of deep fertile valleys and abrupt wooded hills. Here Christianity was introduced in Polynesia; and here the South Sea College of the London Missionary Society was established.
Einsiedeln (Tne-zee'deln), a town in the Swiss canton of Schwyz, 27 miles SE. of Zurich by rail. It makes great numbers of prayer-books, images, rosaries, etc, but is chiefly celebrated for its Benedictine abbey (10th c.; rebuilt 1719), to which some 200,000 pilgrims resort annually to the shrine of a black image of the Virgin, the 14th September being the principal day in the year. Near the town the French defeated the Austrians, 14th August 1799. Pop. 8501.
Eisenerz, a mining town of Austria, in the north of Styria, 20 miles NW. of Bruck. It stands in a narrow mountain-valley at the north foot of the Brzberg(5011 feet), a mountain so rich in iron ore that the miners quarry the rock from the outside. Pop. 6950.
Eisleben (Ize-lay'ben), Luther's birthplace, a mining-town of Prussian Saxony, 24 miles WNW. of Halle. Population, above 24,000. The bouse in which Luther was born was partially burnt in 1689, but was restored, as also have been the house in which he died, the church (Peter-Paulskirche) where he was christened, and another (Audreaskirche) in which he preached. In 1883, his quatercentenary, a bronze statue was unveiled of the Reformer, and a new gymnasium inaugurated, successor to the one which he founded two days before his death.