Lovedale, an important educational and mission station in the eastern part of Cape Colony, 40 miles W. of King William's Town. It was founded in 1841, and has been generously supported by the Free Church of Scotland.
Low Archipelago, the most easterly group of Polynesian islands, known also as Paumotu, Tuamotu, Pearl or Dangerous Islands. They are about eighty in number, very flat and thinly peopled (8000 in all), and surrounded by coral atolls. Since 1846 they are under a French protectorate. There are rich pearl-fisheries.
Lowell, a manufacturing city of Massachusetts, on the Merrimac River (mostly on the south bank), 25 miles N. by W. of Boston. The site is uneven and hilly, and the river falls 33 feet, affording great hydraulic power. There are many large cotton and woollen factories; 2,500,000 yards of cotton are produced here in a week. Among the other manufactures are leather, paper, and iron goods, chemicals, carriages, etc. Lowell was incorporated in 1826. The operatives were for years gathered from the rural districts fifty or a hundred miles round, and lived in boarding-houses owned by the corporations, and kept under strict management. Foreign emigration has brought a large resident manufacturing population. Evening and technical schools, reading-rooms, a free library, and lectureships are maintained, and unusual attention is paid to the well-being of the work-people. The painter Whistler was a native. Pop. (1880) 59,485 ; (1900) 94,970.
Lozere (Lozehr'), a dep. in the south of France, derives its name from Mont Lozere, one of the summits of the Cevennes. It comprises the arrondissements of Mende (the capital), Florac, and Marvejols. Area, 1996 sq. m.; pop. (1872) 135,190; (1901) 128,866. The dep. forms the south-east extremity of the central uplands of France, and embraces the highest peaks of the Cevennes (Pic de Finiels, 5584 feet).
Lualaba. See Congo.
Lublin, the capital of a Polish government, on a sub-tributary of the Vistula, 96 miles by rail SE. of Warsaw. It has a 13th-century cathedral, and was plundered by the Mongols in 1240, 1344, and 1477. From the end of the 14th to that of the 16th c. it was the chief commercial town between the Vistula and the Dnieper. There are manufactures of tobacco, beer, candles, soap, etc, and a large trade in corn and wool. The population is over 50,000. - Area of government, 6497 sq. m. ; pop. 1,165,000.