Etruria, the country inhabited or ruled by the Etruscans, a very ancient people of Italy. Lying west of the Tiber and the Apennines, and including the Arno valley, it was a confederation of twelve cities or states. Some of these cities are now deserted sites, marked only by vast cemeteries and the remains of cyclopean walls, while others still retain more or less of their old importance. See works by Dennis (2d ed. 1878)., K. O. Muller (1877), and Jules Martha (1888).
Etruria, a village of Staffordshire, in the municipal borough of Hanley. Here, on 13th June 1769, Josiah Wedgwood and Thomas Bent-ley opened their celebrated Etruria potteries, so named after the Etruscan ware. Pop. 8000.
Etset. See Adige.
Ettrick Water, a stream of Selkirkshire, rising on Capel Fell, and winding 32 miles north-eastward to the Tweed, 3 miles below Selkirk, and 5 from the influx of its chief affluent, the Yarrow. In Ettrick churchyard, towards the stream's source, lie Boston and Hogg the 'Ettrick Shepherd. Ettrick Forest, erst so ' fair,* now treeless and pastoral, included all Selkirkshire, with parts of Peebles and Edinburgh shires.
Eu(Oh; nearly Uh), a French town of Seine-Infe-rieure, on the Bresle, 2 miles from its mouth, and 21 NE. of Dieppe by rail. The Chateau d'Eu (1578), a low red brick building, with high roofs of slate, was purchased by Mademoiselle de Mont-pensier in 1675; eventually, in 1821, it came to Louis-Philippe, who here received Queen Victoria in 1843. In 1874 Viollet-le-Duc restored it for the Comte de Paris. Pop. 4900.
Euganean Hills, a range of well-wooded hills, lying SW. of Padua in Northern Italy, and culminating in Monte Venda (1749 feet). On their slopes stand several villas, amongst them Petrarch's house at Arqua.
Eupatoria (formerly Koslov), a Russian seaport, on a bay in the west of the Crimea, 40 miles NW.
of Simferopol. The principal building is the Tartar mosque (1552). Pop. 13,416.
Eupen, a town of Rhenish Prussia, on the Vedre, close to the Belgian frontier, and 12 miles by rail S. of Aix-la-Chapelle. It has flourishing woollen manufactures, besides dyeworks, machine-shops, breweries, etc. French refugees settled at Eupen after the peace of Luneville (1801); in 1814 it came from Limburg to Prussia. Pop. 15,441, almost all Catholics.
Eure (Ohr; nearly Ehr), a dep. of Normandy, south of the dep. of Seine-Inferieure. Area, 2290 sq. m. ; pop. (1846) 423,247 ; (1901) 334,781. The river Eure, which gives it name, flows 141 miles to the Seine. The dep. is divided into the five arrondissements of Evreux (the capital), Louviers, Les Andelys, Bernay, and Pont-Audemer.
Eure-et-Loir (Ehr-ay-Lwar), a dep. of France, south of the preceding; area, 2260 sq. m. Pop. (1872) 282,622 ; (1901) 275,433. It is divided into four arrondissements, Chartres (the capital), Chateaudun, Dreux, and Nogent-le-Rotrou.