Evreux (Ev-ruh'; named from the anc. Eburo-vices), the capital of the French dep. of Eure, in the fertile valley of the Iton, a feeder of the Eure, 67 miles by rail WNW. of Paris. Among its buildings are the cruciform cathedral (11th to 18th a); St Taurin's, with the 13th-century shrine of that saint, the first Bishop of Evreux ; the episcopal palace (1484); and the 'Tour de l'Horloge,' of the same century. Evreux manufactures paper, linen, etc. Pop. (1872) 10,702; (1901) 14,920. At the neighbouring village of Vieil Evreux excavations have disclosed remains of a theatre, an aqueduct, baths, etc.
Exe, a river of Somerset and Devon, rising in Exmoor, and flowing 54 miles SE. and S. to the English Channel at Exmouth. The lower 5 miles form a tideway a mile broad, with wooded shores. An ancient canal connects the estuary with Exeter. Tributaries are the Barle (24 miles), which also rises in Exmoor, Batham, Loman, Culm, and Creedy. The Exe passes Dulverton, Bampton, Exeter, and Topsham.
Exmouth, a Devonshire watering-place, at the east side of the mouth of the Exe, 11 miles by rail SSE. of Exeter. A sheltered spot, with fine climate, good beach, and beautiful views, it had dwindled from a considerable seaport to a poor fishing-village, when, about the beginning of the 18th century, it rose into repute as a seaside resort; and now it has terraces, hotels, baths, promenades, and pleasure-grounds along the seashore, and docks constructed in 1869. Pop.
(1851) 5123; (1901) 10,485. See Webb's Memorials of Exmouth (1873).
Exuma. See Bahamas.
Eyam (pron. Eem), a village in North Derbyshire, 5 miles N. of Bakewell, with a population of 996, chiefly engaged in lead-mining. By a visitation (1665-66) of the plague, then raging in London, 260 out of a population of 350 perished. See Wood's History of Eyam (4th ed. 1865).
Eye (A.S. ig, 'island'), a municipal borough of Suffolk, 20 miles N. of Ipswich. It has a fine Perpendicular flint-work church, with a tower 101 feet high, a small ruined castle, a corn exchange, and a grammar-school. Till 1885 it returned one member. Pop. 2004.
Eylau (I'low), a town (pop. 3546), 23 miles S. of Konigsberg by rail. Here Napoleon repulsed the Russians and Prussians, February 8, 1807. The place is called Preussisch-Eylau, to distinguish it from Deutsch-Eylau (pop. 4574), 89 miles NE. of Bromberg.
Eyre, Lake, a salt lake of South Australia, lying due N. of Spencer Gulf, at an altitude of 79 feet, and with an area of 3706 sq. m. Except in the rainy season, it is generally a mere salt-marsh. Eyre discovered it in 1840.