Bilston, a town in South Staffordshire, 2 1/2 miles SE. of Wolverhampton, and within its parliamentary borough. The centre of the hardware trade, it has extensive iron and coal mines, iron-smelting works, iron-foundries for making machinery, besides works for tin-plate goods, japanned and enamelled wares, nails, wire, screws, and coarse pottery. Pop. 25,000.
Biluchistan. See Beluchistan.
Bima, a seaport of Sumbawa, one of the Sunda Isles, on the north coast, 100 miles E. of Sumbawa.
Bimbia, an African district on the south slope of the Cameroon Mountains, and on the river Bimbia, since 1884 part of the German protectorate. See Cameroons.
Bingen (Bing'en), a town of Hesse, on the left bank of the Rhine, 39 miles SE. of Coblenz. Below the town is the Bingerloch, formerly dangerous to navigation, but in 1834 the sunken rocks were blown up. In mid-river stands the Miiuse-turm of Bishop Hatto. Nearly opposite Bingen, in the Niederwald, is the colossal statue Ger-mania, erected 1877-83 to commemorate the war of 1870-71. Pop. 9215.
Bingham ton, a flourishing city of New York, at the junction of the Chenango and Susquehanna rivers, 215 miles NW. of New York City. It is an important railway centre, and manufactures flour, enyines, carriages, leather, and cigars. Pop. 41,000.
Bintang, a Dutch East Indian island, 40 miles SE. of Singapore. Area, 454 sq. m.; pop. 18,000.
Binue. See Benue.
Birchington, a Kentish coast village, 3 1/4 miles W. by S. of Margate. Pop. of parish, 2122.
Birkenfeld, a German principality belonging to Oldenburg (q.v.), but surrounded by the Prussian Rhine Province. Area, 194 sq. m.; population, 43,500. The capital, Birkenfeld, has a pop. of 2500.
Birket-el-Hadji ('lake of the pilgrims'), a small lake 10 miles NE. of Cairo, where the Mecca pilgrims assemble and separate.