Ket'tering, a market-town (since 1227) of Northamptonshire, 75 miles NNW. of London by rail. The parish church (1450 c.; restored 1862) is a fine Perpendicular structure, with tower and spire. A town-hall and corn exchange was built in 1863; and Kettering has also a free grammar-school, water-works (1872), and manufactures of boots and shoes, stays, plush, brushes, etc. Pop. of parish (1861) 5845; (1901) 28,653.
Kew", a village in Surrey, 6 miles W. of Hyde Park Corner, and on the right bank of the Thames, which is here crossed by a fine stone bridge of seven arches, built 1789 and freed 1873. The Royal Botanic Gardens and Arboretum contain magnificent collections of plants, ferns, trees, and shrubs. Established in 1760 by George III.'a mother, and made a national institution in 1840, the gardens now extend over 70 acres, and the arboretum 178 acres. SW. of the gardens is an observatory, chiefly used as a meteorological station. Close to the northern entrance is Kew Palace, formerly a favourite residence of George III., and of Queen Charlotte, who died there. In Kew churchyard is buried Gainsborough. Pop. (1801) 424; (1901) 2500. See Chancellor's Richmond, Kew, etc. (1894).
Kewatin. See Keewatin.
Key or Kei Islands, a small group in the East Indies, lying S. of Dutch New Guinea and NE. of Timor, consists of Great Key, Little Key, and some smaller islets. Total area, 680 sq. m. ; pop. 20,000, Malays and Alfuros, three-fourths on Great Key. This is a long narrow island, stretching north to south, volcanic in origin, and with a rocky, hilly surface that rises to nearly 3000 feet. Little Key, to the west, is of coral formation, and lies low ; it is said to have made its appearance in the middle of the 19th century during an earthquake disturbance. All the islands are covered with dense jungle, valuable timber being the principal product. Fishing is the chief occupation ; and beche-de-mer is gathered. The group has been Dutch since 1645. - The islets of the Bahama group in North America are called generally keys or cays (Span. 'rocks ' or ' reefs').
Key West, a port of entry and health-resort, the capital of Monroe county, Florida, is situated on the island of Key West (Span. Cayo Hueso, ' Bone Reef'), 60 miles SW. of Cape Sable. It is a coral island, 7 miles long, 2 to 3 wide, and nowhere more than 11 feet above the level of the sea. There is a good harbour, defended by a fort. The streets are wide and straight, with tramway lines; most of the houses are built of wood. The exports are salt, turtles, sponges, fruits and vegetables, and cigars manufactured here. Pop. 20,000.