Sebenico (Seb-en-ee'ko; Slav. Sibenik), a picturesque town of Austrian Dalmatia, stands on a landlocked bay of the Adriatic, 43 miles by rail NW. of Spalato. The chief ornament of the place is its cathedral (1430-1555). Pop. 11,000.
Secunderabad. See Hyderabad.
Sedalia, capital of Pettis county, Missouri, 188 miles by rail W. of St Louis. It has large railway-shops, flour-mills, and manufactories of woollens, machinery and agricultural implements, wagons, furniture, and soap. Pop. 15,250.
Sedan (Fr. pron. Se-dong'), a frontier town of France, dep. Ardennes, stands on the Meuse, 64 miles by rail NE. of Rheims. Colbert founded here cloth-factories which are still busy; metal-working is carried on, and there is an active trade in wool. Pop. (1872) 13,807; (1901) 16,120. The citadel capitulated to the Germans in 1815; but Sedan is chiefly noted for the surrender (September 2, 1870) of Napoleon III. and 86,000 men to the Germans. The fortress was dismantled after 1875. Marshals Turenne and Macdonald were born here. Previous to its incorporation with France (1642) Sedan was the capital of an independent principality and a Protestant stronghold. Its industrial prosperity was largely due to the influx of Huguenots; and at its theological seminary, famous until the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, notable Scotsmen such as Andrew Melville taught.
Sedbergh, a town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the Rawthey, 32 miles NW. of Skipton. It has a Norman church and a grammar-school (1551) of high repute, where Sedgwick was educated and Hartley Coleridge was a master. Pop. of parish, 2474. See the Rev. W. Thompson, Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent (Leeds, 1892).
Seeland (Dan. Sjalland). See Zealand.
Seges'ta, an ancient city of NW. Sicily.
Sego'via, an old city of Spain, at the northern foot of the Sierra de Guadarrama, 32 miles NNW. of Madrid. It occupies a rocky eminence 3300 feet above sea-level, is surrounded by ruinous walls with round towers, and consists of narrow uneven streets, with quaint old stately houses. The Moorish castle on the rocky height has been restored since its destruction by fire in 1862; it lodged our Charles I. in September 1623. The cathedral (1521-77) is one of the finest specimens of Late Gothic in Spain. The grand Roman aqueduct, built in Trajan's time, consists of two rows of arches, the one resting upon the other, some 2600 feet long and 102 feet high. Pop. 14,328. Segovia was a place of importance under the Romans, and was a frequent residence of the kings of Castile and Leon. The unresisting town was sacked in 1808 by the French. - Area of province of Segovia, 2714 sq. m.; pop. 154,443.