Cockermouth, a town of Cumberland, on the Derwent, 25 miles SW. of Carlisle, and 12 NW. of Keswick. A ruined castle crowns a bold height on the left bank of the Cocker, near its influx to the Derwent. It became Mary Stuart's prison in 1568, and in 1648 was dismantled by the parliamentarians. Wordsworth was born here in an old-fashioned house still standing. Till 1867 Cockermouth returned two members to parliament; till 1885 one. Pop. 5364.
Cockpen', a Midlothian parish, 7 1/2 miles SE. of Edinburgh.
Cocos. See Keeling Islands.
Cod. See Cape Cod.
Codogno, a town of Northern Italy, 17 miles SE. of Lodi by rail. Pop. 8935.
Cœle-Syria (See-leh; 'Hollow Syria'), now called El-Buka'a, 'the deep plain,' a valley of Syria, extending between the ranges of the Lebanon and Anti-Lebanon. It is 1706 feet above the sea, and is watered by the Orontes (now El-Asi). Above the valley stand the ruins of Baalbek.
Coggeshall, a town of Essex, on the Black-water, 44 miles NE. of London. It has a school, founded by Sir Robert Hitcham (1636), remains of a Cistercian abbey (1142), a good Decorated church, and some manufactures of silk, velvet, and lace. It is supposed to have been the Roman Canonium. John Owen was minister here. Pop. of parish, 2730. See Beaumont's History of Coggeshall (1890).
Cognac (Kon-yak') a town in the French dep. of Charente, on an old castle-crowned hill over the Charente, 42 miles SE. of Rochefort by rail. The cultivation of the vine and distillation of brandy, hence called Cognac, form the chief industry of the district. Francis I. was born here. Pop. (1872) 12,950; (1901) 18,454.
Cohoes, a manufacturing city of Albany county, New York, on the Hudson, at the mouth of the Mohawk, 3 miles above Troy, and on the Erie Canal. It has cotton-mills, knitting-mills, and manufactures of axes, gas-piping, machines, etc. Pop. (1860) 8799; (1900) 23,910.
Coimbatore (Co-im'ba-tore), a town of Madras Presidency, on the Noyil, 304 miles SW. of Madras by rail, and 1437 feet above the sea. Population, 55,000.
Coimbra (Co-im'bra), capital of the Portuguese province of Beira, on a hill above the Mondego, 135 m . NNE. of Lisbon by rail. It was the capital of Portugal for about two centuries and a half from its erection into a kingdom in 1139, and many of the early kings are buried in and around the old town. It has two cathedrals, and a university, the only one in Portugal, with over 700 students. It was originally established at Lisbon in 1288, but was permanently transferred here in 1537. Pop. 18,369.