Manhattan Island, the island on which the great part of New York City stands.
Manica (Manee'ca), a gold-field long worked by the Portuguese, 130 miles NW. of the port of Beira at the mouth of the Pungwe River, whence a railway was making in 1894. It is now mostly included with Mashonaland (q.v.), in the British South Africa Company's territory. Part is Portuguese.
Manihiki Islands (Mannyhee'kee), a group of low, wooded atolls, scattered over the central Pacific, between the Marquesas and Union groups. Total area, 55 sq. m. ; pop. 1900. Most of them (Caroline, Maiden, Starbuck, Penrhyn, Hum-phrey, Vostok, Flint, etc.) belong to Britain.
Manipur, a native state in the north-east of India, occupying some 8000 sq. m. of for the most part heavily timbered mountain-land between Burma, Assam, Chittagong, and Cachar; pop. about 284,000 - mainly Kukis and semi-Hindu hill and forest tribes - collected most thickly in one valley, 650 sq. m., situated 2500 feet above sea-level. Most of the work in the country is performed by women. The men are incorrigibly lazy, but passionately fond of the game of polo. - The capital, called Manipur, also Imphail, is a vast group of suburban residences, situated in the midst of a large forest; pop. 67,100. In March 1892 a British force of 470 men, that had been sent to depose the rebellious 'senaputti' or commander-in-chief, was forced to retire, after the chief commissioner and four others had been treacherously murdered. In April General Graham avenged this outrage, and the 'senaputti ' was hanged.
Manitou, a summer-resort at the base of Pike's Peak, Colorado, 6296 feet above sea-level. It is the Saratoga of the west, with soda springs and several large summer hotels. Pop. 1300.
Manitoulin Islands, a chain of wooded islands in Lake Huron, separating it from Georgian Bay. The chief are Grand Manitoulin (80 by 28 miles), Cockburn Isle, and Drummond Isle ; the last belongs to Michigan, the rest to Ontario.
Manitowoc', capital of Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, at the mouth of the Manitowoc River, on Lake Michigan, 77 miles by rail N. of Milwaukee. It has a good harbour, and carries on Shipbuilding, lumber-sawing, and the manufacture of furniture, machinery, etc. Pop. 11,S00.
Mannheim (Mann'hime), once capital of the Rhenish Palatinate, and now the chief trading-town in Baden, on the right bank of the Rhine, here joined by the Neckar, 53 miles S. of Frankfort. The town is remarkable for its cleanliness and regularity. The palace (1720-29) is one of the largest in Germany, covering 15 acres, with a facade 580 yards long, and 1500 windows. The Schillerplatz is adorned with colossal statues of Schiller, Dalberg, and the actor and dramatist Iffland (1759-1814). There are manufactures of iron, cigars, carpets, india-rubber, etc. Pop. (1875) 46,453 ; (1900) 141,131, of whom about 50,000 were Catholics. Mannheim was a mere village till 1606, when a castle was built by the elector-palatine, around which a town grew up, peopled chiefly by Protestant refugees from the Low Countries. It was totally destroyed by the French in 1689, rebuilt and strongly fortified, and in 1795 severely bombarded by the Austrians.