Notable is one 'hall of a 1000 columns' (960 really), 450 feet long by 130 wide. Pop. 23,050.
Serpukoff, a Russian town, 57 miles by rail S. of Moscow, with a cathedral (1380), manufacturing cottons, woollens, leather, etc. Pop. 24,000.
Sessa, 32 miles NW. of Naples, has a fine cathedral and ruins. Pop. 8000.
Sestos. See Abydos.
Sestri Ponente, a suburb of Genoa.
Setif, capital of a department of Algeria, 70 miles west of Constantine. Pop. 16,000.
Sevastopol. See Sebastopol.
Sevenoaks (Sen'oaks), a pleasant town of Kent, on an eminence 22 miles SE. of London. It has a Perpendicular church with some interesting monuments, the Walthamstow Hall (1882) for 100 daughters of missionaries, and a grammar-school founded in 1432 by Lord Mayor Sir W. Sennocke, incorporated by Queen Elizabeth, and reconstituted as a first-grade modern school in 1877, at which Grote and Bishops Christopher and Charles Wordsworth were educated. Knole, the magnificent seat of Lord Sackville, is close by. It was mainly built between 1460 and 1608 by Archbishop Bourchier and Thomas Sackville, first Earl of Dorset, and has a park of 1000 acres. Pop. 8250.
Severo, Cape. See Chelyuskin.
Sevres (Sehvr), a town of France, dep. Seine-et-Oise, 10 1/2 miles SW. of Paris, has since 1756 been celebrated for its state factory of artistic porcelain. The Sevres vases are of great value and are known the world over; painted glass and mosaic are also made. Pop. 7950.
Sevres, Deux- (Duh-Sehvr), a dep. in the west of France, formed chiefly out of the ancient province of Poitou. Area, 2315 sq. m.; pop. (1901) 342,474. The arrondissements are Niort (the capital), Bressuire, Melle, and Parthenay.
Seyne, La (Sayn), a seaport of France (dep. Var), on the Mediterranean, 3 miles SW. of Toulon, with shipbuilding yards. Pop. 19,160.
Sfax, the second port of Tunis, on the Gulf of Cabes, 150 miles S. by E. of the town of Tunis. It trades in dates, olive-oil, esparto grass, wool, fruits, sponges, etc.; and manufactures cottons, woollens, and silks. Pop. 30,000.