Bearhaven. See Castletown Bearhaven.
Bear Lake, Great, in the north-west of Canada, in 65°-67° N. lat., and 117°-123° W. long. Lying 246 feet above sea-level, Great Bear Lake is irregular in shape, with an area of 7012 sq. m., or not much smaller than Wales. It sends forth a river of its own name to the Mackenzie.
Beam, one of the thirty-two old French provinces now forming the greatest portion of the dep. of Basses-Pyrenees. The inhabitants are chiefly Gascons with a strong Basque infusion, and they speak the purest Gascon dialect. Beam virtually became a part of France on Henry IV.'s accession (1593), but was only formally incorporated with it in 1620.
Beattock, the junction for Moffat (q.v.).
Beaucaire (Bo-kayr'), a town in the French dep. of Gard, on the Rhone, opposite Tarascon, 14 m. SSW. of Avignon. Vessels enter its harbour by a canal from the Mediterranean. A July fair, once attended by 300,000 strangers, still does a brisk trade in silks, wines, oil, etc. Pop. 8906.
Beaufort (Bo-forr'), an Angevin town of 4317 inhabitants, in the French dep. of Maine-et-Loire, 19 miles E. of Angers. Its ancient castle came into the hands of the Lancaster family at the end of the 14th century, and gave name to the natural sons of John of Gaunt.
Beaufort (Bo'fort), a port, N. Carolina, U.S., at the mouth of Newport River. Pop. 2500. - Also a port and watering-place of S. Carolina, on Port Royal Island, and terminus of Port Royal Railroad, 14 miles from the ocean. Pop. 5000.
Beaugency (Bo-zhong-see'), a town in the French dep. of Loiret, on the Loire, 16 miles SW. of Orleans by rail. Here the Germans defeated the French, December 7-10, 1870. Pop. 3775.
Beaujolais (Bo-zlw-lay'), a subdivision of the old French province of Lyonnais, now forming the northern part of the dep. of Rhone, and a small part of Loire.