Inn (anc. Œnus), the most important Alpine affluent of the Danube, rises in the south of the Swiss canton of Grisons, and flows 317 miles north-east through the Engadine, and onwards through Tyrol and Bavaria, to its junction with the Danube at Passau.
Innerleithen, a police-burgh (1869) of Peeblesshire, near the Tweed's left bank, 6 miles ESE. of Peebles, and 12 W. of Galashiels. Its first woollen-factory was established in 1790, about which time its saline spring (Scott's 'st Ronan's Well') came into celebrity; but the great extension of its woollen industry dates from fifty years later. Pop. 2200.
Inowraclaw (I-nov'ratz-lav), Inowrazlaw, or Jung Breslau ('Young Breslau'), a town of Prussia, near the Polish frontier, 66 miles NE. of Posen. It carries on salt-mining, iron-founding, etc. Pop. 26,548.
Insterburg, a town of East Prussia, on the Angerap River, 55 miles E. of Konigsberg, had its origin in a castle of the Tuetonic knights, built in the fourteenth century. It has important manufactories. Pop. 27,300.
Invera'ray, the county town of Argyllshire, is picturesquely seated on the north-west shore of Loch Fyne, 16 miles SSW. of Dalmally station, and 45 NNW. of Greenock (via Loch Eck). Removed to its present site in 1742, it has a sculptured stone cross from Iona (c. 1400), and an obelisk to seventeen Campbells, executed here without trial in 1685 for their share in Argyll's expedition. Inveraray Castle, the Duke of Argyll's seat, was rebuilt in 1744-61. A royal burgh since 1648, Inveraray with Ayr, etc. returns a member. Pop. (1841) 1233 ; (1901) 678.
Inverbervie. See Bervie.
Invercar'gill, a town in the province of Otago, New Zealand, capital of the county of Southland, stands on an estuary called the New River Harbour, 139 miles by rail SW. of Dunedin. It has fine wide streets, and steam trains, public parks, the government buildings, an athenaeum, a hospital, sawmills, foundries, steam flour-mills, breweries, manufactures of boots, bacon, cordials, extensive meat-freezing works, etc. Pop. 9962.
Inveresk. See Musselburgh.
Inversnaid, a place on the east shore of Loch Lomond, 3 miles NE. of Tarbet.