Dunkery Beacon. See Exmoor.
Dunluce, a ruined castle on the Antrim coast, 3 1/2 miles E. of Portrush.
Dunmow, Great, a market-town of Essex, on the Chelmer, 39 miles NNE. of London. - At Little Dunmow, 2 miles ESE., are remains of a stately Augustinian priory, founded in 1104. The Dunmow Flitch of Bacon was a prize instituted in 1244 by Robert Fitzwalter, as a prize for contented married couples after a year's probation.
Dunmurry, a town of County Antrim, Ireland, 5 miles SW. of Belfast. Pop. 1105.
Dunnet Head, in Caithness (q.v.).
Dunnottar Castle, the ruined seat of the Keiths, Earls Marischal of Scotland, on the Kincardineshire coast, 1 1/2 mile S. of Stonehaven. It crowns a sea-washed rock 160 feet high, sheltered the Scottish regalia in 1651, and in 1685 was the prison of 167 Covenanters.
Dunoon, an Argyllshire watering-place, extending, with Hunter's Quay and Kirn, 3 miles along the west shore of the Firth of Clyde, and 7 miles W. of Greenock. The seat of a castle of the Stewarts, in 1563 it received a visit from Queen Mary, and in 1643 was the place where thirty-six Lamonts were cruelly hanged by the Campbells. But the present well-built town has wholly arisen since 1822 - with its steamboat-piers, its esplanade, its half-dozen churches, its numerous handsome villas, and the Convalescent Homes (1869). Pop. (1841) 1296; (1901) 6779 - a Dumber sometimes doubled by summer visitors.
Duns, a police-burgh of Berwickshire, 44 miles ESE. of Edinburgh (by rail 56), since 1853 has divided with Greenlaw the rank of county town. Thomas Boston was a native; and on round turf-clad Duns Law, which rises 700 feet above the sea, and 280 above the town, the Covenanters encamped in 1639. Pop. 2298.
Dunsink, a hill 4 miles NW. of Dublin, the site of the observatory of Trinity College.
Dun'stable, a town of Bedfordshire, at the east base of the Chiltern chalk-hills or Dunstable Downs, 36 miles NW. of London by rail. An old-fashioned, brick-built place, with two main streets crossing at right angles, it has the fine church, partly Norman, of an Augustinian priory, which in 1110 was the scene of the earliest miracle play on record, so that Dunstable claims to be the birthplace of the English drama. It has also an ancient celebrity for larks and for straw-plait, which still is the staple industry. The grammar-school (1715) was rebuilt in 1888, at a cost of £10,000. Dunstable, which stood at the intersection of Watling and Icknield Streets, was the site of an Eleanor Cross (demolished 1643), and the scene of Queen Catharine's divorce by Cranmer. It was made a municipal borough in 1864. Pop. 5513.