Kintyre', or Cantire (Gael. ceann-tir, 'headland '), a long, narrow peninsula of Argyllshire, between the Atlantic and the Firth of Clyde, extending 42 miles south by westward, and 4 1/2 to ll 1/2 miles broad. At the north end it connects with the mainland by the isthmus of Tarbert, 1 1/8 mile broad, between East Loch Tarbert, a bay of Loch Fyne, and West Loch Tarbert. The surface is diversified by a ridge of low, moorish hills, with many lochs, the highest point being Ben-an-Tuirc (1491 feet). Coal is found at Drumlemble, 4 miles to the west of Campbeltown. Machrihanish Bay, on the west coast, just beyond, possesses noted golf-links. A lighthouse (1787), 297 feet above sea-level, stands on the Mull of Kintyre, which is overhung by Ben-na-Lice (1405 feet), and is only 13 miles distant from Ireland.
Kioto. See Kyoto.
Kirin, a Manchurian town, on the Sungari, 220 miles NE. of Mukden. Pop. 85,000.
Kirkdale Cave, Vale of Pickering, Yorkshire, 28 miles W. of Scarborough, is 245 feet long, but very low. Discovered in 1821, it has yielded many remains of Tertiary mammals.
Kirkheaton, a town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, near the Colne, 3 miles ENE. of Huddersfield. Pop. 2632.
Kirkintilloch, a town in Dumbartonshire (detached), on the Forth and Clyde Canal, 7 miles NNE. of Glasgow. Its Celtic name Caerpentu-lach ( fort at the end of the ridge') referred to a strong fort on Antoninus' Wall, which has left some remains; as early as 1170 it was made a burgh of barony. Chemicals, iron, etc. are manufactured. In the southern suburb, Lenzie, are the large Barony lunatic asylum (1875) and the Glasgow convalescent home (1864). Pop. (1851) 6342; (1901) 10,502.