Dronfield, a town of Derbyshire, 6 miles NNW. of Chesterfield. It has large edge-tool factories and neighbouring collieries. Pop. 3838.
Drontheim. See Trondhjem.
Droylsden, Lancashire, a suburb of Manchester, 3 1/2 miles E. of it, with railway station. Pop. 11,000.
Drumclog, a moorland tract in west Lanarkshire, 6 miles SE. of Strathaven. Here, 2 1/2 miles E. of Loudon Hill, Claverhouse was defeated on the 1st June 1679 by 200 Covenanters.
Drumlan'rig Castle, a seat (1689) of the Duke of Buccleuch (till 1810 Queensberry), in Upper Nithsdale, 17 miles NW. of Dumfries. See a work by Ramage (1876).
Drummond Castle. See Crieff.
Drummond Island, the most westerly of the Manitoulin chain, in Lake Huron, belongs to Chippewa county, Michigan. It measures 20 miles by 10.
Drumore, a Wigtownshire seaport, 17 1/2 miles S. by E. of Stranraer. Pop. 459.
Dryburgh, a beautiful ruined Premonstraten-sian abbey, in Berwickshire, 5 miles ESE. of Melrose, on the Tweed, here crossed by a suspension bridge. It contains the dust of Sir Walter Scott and his son-in-law Lockhart. Founded in 1150 by David I., it was more or less destroyed by the English in 1322,1385, 1544, and 1545. See Spottiswoode's Liber de Dryburgh (Bannatyne Club, 1847).
Dryfe Water, a Dumfriesshire stream flowing 18 1/2 miles to the Annan, near Lockerbie.
Dryhope, a ruined peel-tower in Selkirkshire, 3/4 mile N. of St Mary's Loch. It was the birthplace of the ' Flower of Yarrow.'
Dubitza, a fortified town of Bosnia, on the Unna, 10 miles from its confluence with the Save. Pop. 3000.
Dubovka, a town in the Russian province of Saratov, on the Volga. Pop. 13,300.
Dubuque (Doo-buke'), a city of Iowa, on right bank of the Mississippi, built partly on bluffs rising 200 feet above the river, which is here crossed by an iron railway bridge, 198 miles WNW. of Chicago. It has an Episcopal and a Roman Catholic cathedral, a city-hall, a customhouse of marble, and a German Presbyterian seminary. It is a seat of manufactures, and has a large river and railway trade. Julien Dubuque, a French trader, engaged in lead-mining here as early as 1788; but the first permanent settlement was made in 1833. Pop. (1870) 18,434; (1900) 36,297.
Ducato, Cape (Doo-kah'to), an abrupt headland at the south-west extremity of Leukas or Santa Maura, one of the Ionian Islands.
Duddingston, a Midlothian village, 2 1/2 miles SE. of Edinburgh. Pop. 330. Duddingston Loch measures 580 by 267 yards.
Duddon, a river of Cumberland and Lancashire, flowing 20 miles to the Irish Sea near Broughton-in-Furness. Wordsworth's sonnets have made it famous.
Duff House. See Banff.
Duffield, a town of Derbyshire, on the Der-went, 4 miles N. of Derby. Pop. of parish, 1960.
Dufftown, a police-burgh of Banffshire, 65 miles NW. of Aberdeen. Pop. 1869.